You will need to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage form. It is valid for 18 months and is required to be lodged with your Celebrant no later than one month prior to your wedding date.

If you are signing the notice outside Australia it can be witnessed in the presence of an Australian Diplomatic Officer, an Australian Consular officer or a notary public and then sent to your Celebrant.




Marital Status


Single, Never Validly Married & born in Australia

Single & born overseas


Divorced & born in Australia

Divorced & born overseas


Widow/Widower born in Australia

Widow/Widower & Born Overseas



Legal Requirements


  • You must be over 18 years of age to marry in Australia
  • On the day of your marriage you must produce two witnesses over the age of 18
  • If you are born in Australia, you must show your birth certificate (in English)
  • If born outside of Australia you are required to show your birth certificate or passport from the country of birth (translated)
  • If either of you have been married previously you will need to produce your Divorce Decree Absolute document/ Nullity Certificate
  • Statuary Declaration regarding birth for a person born overseas and unable to produce a Birth Certificate
  • Court order and parents' consent for a minor.
  • If either of your previous spouses are deceased, you must produce the Death Certificate
  • I must receive the appropriately witnessed Notice of Intention to Marry at least one month prior to the wedding
  • You can lodge this with me up to 18 months in advance of the wedding
  • Three sets of documents to be signed by Bride, Groom and Witnesses after the Wedding has taken place
  • Ceremony to reflect the Minimum Legal Wording as required by The Marriage Act 1961.


What is the Celebrants Role?


  • Attends to all the legal paperwork
  • Helps to create and tailor a ceremony to suit your needs
  • Manage all aspects of Marriage Ceremony
  • Solemnise your marriage
  • Can assist you with ideas and options for venues
  • Arrives 45 minutes before the ceremony takes place to organize the guests  and make sure the Wedding Party is in place for the Ceremony
  • Ensure all Documents are signed by couple and witnesses
  • Lodge all documents with Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Forward Marriage Certificates to couple

Documents Required


Birth Certificate

Birth Certificate/ Passport (translated)


Birth Certificate/Decree Absolute

Birth Certificate/Passport and Decree Absolute( translated)


Death Certificate of Spouse and Birth Certificate

Death Certificate of Spouse, Birth Certificate and Passport